In Chartio, any user with data source access aside from demo data sources, CSVs, and Google Sheets are required to have an Editor license.
If you would like to change the user type from Editor to Viewer for the purposes of Chartio licenses, you would need to:
- Remove data source access from the user
- Remove the user from any teams which have data source access
To see individual users’ permissions to determine their access levels:
- Select ‘Settings’ from the 3 ellipses button on the main menu and click on the ‘Users’ Tab
- Click on the user’s name/email in the “Users” columns. This will open up a new page with information about the Teams they are on as well as the Dashboards and Data Sources to which they currently have access.
- You can then click on any of the items listed to open up the Team or Data Source and edit the user’s permissions.
For example, the user below has access to 3 Data Sources. To remove their access to these Data Sources (if not included in the exceptions listed above):
- Click on the data source name to open up the page for this data source
- Switch to the “Access” tab at the top of the screen
- Click on the ‘X’ to remove access for the specific user
Additionally, the user cannot belong to any team that has data source access granted at the team level. To remove a user from a team:
- Click on the ‘X’ next to the Team’s name under the “Remove From Team” column.
- If you aren’t sure of the permissions for the Team, you can click on the team name to open up the Teams page. From there, you’ll be able to see its exact permissions.
As a final note, all users on the Owners team have special permissions which implicitly grants them data sources access to all data sources in your Chartio account. Hence, a Viewer can not be part of the Owners Team.